Friday, February 04, 2011

2011 Chevron Houston Marathon + Rain = Fun!

This post is well over due.

The race was just six days ago, but my legs wouldn't have been able to tell you that. I was back to full strength by Wednesday so that's always good. Honestly, I was feeling withdrawals from the marathon as soon as I got home on Sunday. I was already craving the next big run, the next big fix. It took me 4 hours 32 minutes and 34 seconds. Not a personal best, but that's not a problem. I loved every second of it. The more of these I do the more that core belief is underscored. You have to love it.

The marathon inevitably hurts at some point for everyone, but you have to make a choice. Do you quit or do you fight on? I know it's cliche, but of all sporting events, marathon running is simply the most perfect metaphor for life. Such as in life, there are always moments in the race that you just feel like quitting. Your mind starts telling you funny things. It tries to reason with you. "It would be so much easier if you just stopped and walked the rest of the way." "You can just blame the weather if you don't finish fast." "Way try so hard? No one else cares." The voice in my head grew louder and louder with each mile. The mind is a funny and powerful thing. When the voice grew from a whisper to a shout in my head I did something I really have never done before. I answered them. Out loud. For the last 4 miles, which always are the toughest, I kept answering "I have the strength. I have the courage. I will not quit." Over and over and over and over. Sure, I got plenty of looks from other runners, but I didn't care. This was for me. I was answering the voice in my head telling me to take the easy way out. And so it went, all the way to the finish line.

The key point isn't that you should care how long it takes for you to finish, but rather how you've run the race. Do you want to be someone who only runs when you think someone else is watching? Or do you want to be able to proudly say you never quit?

No comments: