Monday, February 10, 2014

Rocky Raccoon 50 Recap

Two days ago I completed my second 50 mile ultra trail run. An ultra is defined as any distance beyond the standard marathon distance of 26.2 miles. Most of these types of races are run on unpaved trails through the woods. I have been a distance runner since 2006, but running ultras is something that's relatively new to me. 
They say everyone experiences these races​ in four phases.
  1. The Physical - Your body is cranking like a well-oiled machine and you feel unstoppable.
  2. The Mental - You're fighting physical discomfort and perhaps even pain, but your mind is keeping you moving.
  3. The Emotional - You're physically and mentally exhausted, but the fire in your belly gives you strength to push onward.
  4. The Spiritual - You're praying for the strength and fortitude to get to the finish line in one piece.
I experienced all of the above this past weekend. My run was going well and I was feeling on top of the world. That is, until a gnarly root caught my foot on a downhill causing me to sprain my left ankle at mile 20. I knew it wasn't just a slight tweak because putting any weight on it caused instant pain. I had to stop to brace myself against a tree. I hobbled gingerly on it just to move forward, taking extra care as a navigated over the roots and rocks. I slowly managed to make it to the next aid station where I asked for ibuprofen from a friend. I thought I could manage the pain so I pushed on. The pain subsided enough for me to run as long as I didn't bend my ankle too much. That worked until another misstep turned that same ankle again, flooding my leg with pain signals. I was back to hobbling. At mile 33, my friends grabbed the medic and rushed to my aid. The race doctor taped up my ankle and berated me for taking ibuprofen, explaining that my kidneys were already under too much duress from the race as it is. I thanked her for all her care and promised to take her advice.

I had paced well for the first two loops, but since I was about five hours from sunset and running on a gimpy ankle, I expected the last loop to be completed well after dark. A friend volunteered to run with me for the final 17 miles in case things got bad. I greatly appreciated the company.

With his encouragement, I finished the race in 10:55:26. I had bested my time from last year by an hour and a half. I couldn't believe it. I know it would not have been possible without all the support and care I received from so many that day. I was overwhelmed with such gratitude and joy.

When I tell people about this hobby of mine, they always ask "why?" Why go out and torture myself for so many miles? Why don't I just relax at home and watch TV?

I tell them this. I do it because I want to challenge myself. I do it because I get to see the good in people. I do it because I want to move with purpose.

No comments: